GAPS, Paleo, Grain Free
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Inactive: 3-5 days
- Yield: 3/4 Litre
- 8 oz fresh basil (leaves and stems)
- 4 oz flat leaf parsley (leaves and stems)
- 4 oz walnuts (or pine nuts)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 5 gr sea salt
- 2% salt brine
- In a blender or food processor, add all ingredients except salt brine. You might find it easier to do half of each at a time. Chop everything up finely, adding salt brine to make a chunky paste.
- Spoon into fermentation vessel, pressing out air bubbles. This mixture fits nicely into a 3/4L Pickl-It jar. Gently tap jar to remove any remaining bubbles.
- Let set at room temperature for 3-5 days or once fermentation activity dies down.
- Remove to cold storage until ready to use.
- To use as pesto, mix in 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Serve on top of warm pasta (not too hot so you don’t kill all the buggies).
Reprinted from http://www.picklemetoo.com/2012/10/11/preserved-herbs/ with permission.