Grain-free Chocolate Beet Cupcakes
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 2 cups puréed beets
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Roast beets covered in foil at 400 degrees F for an hour or more, depending on the size of your beets. Allow to cool, remove skin and ends if they are more hard. Cut up the beets into bite sized chunks. Put into a food processor with the 'S' blade. Purée until semi-smooth. You will need to scrape down the sides.
- Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter, then melt together (either use a microwave or place a bowl over simmering water in a pot). Add the melted chocolate to the beet purée.
- Add the eggs and pulse to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar. Mix well, then add to beet and chocolate mixture. Blend till thoroughly combined, occasionally scraping down with a spatula. Pour in the vanilla, blend one more time.
- Line your muffin tin with paper liners. Using a small batter scoop (aka ice cream scoop), fill liners 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes, insert a toothpick to check for doneness.
- These are good on their own. Or you could make an Orange Coconut Butter Glaze.