- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 40 minutes
- Inactive: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
- grain free pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or fruit sweetener
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp ghee
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp bourbon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare the pie crust following this crust recipe. Line the tart dough with a parchment paper and fill with dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the parchment paper and the beans.
- Arrange the pecans with top sides up in the bottom of the baked crust. Set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the egg yolks, maple syrup, coconut sugar or fruit sweetener, cream, ghee, and salt. Over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 7 to 10 minutes, or till a candy thermometer registers to 160 degrees F. DO NOT ALLOW MIXTURE TO BOIL. With a sieve over a small bowl, pour the hot mixture through pressing down with a rubber spatula. This will catch any egg yolk remains. Scrape the underside of the sieve into the bowl, and add the vanilla. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour the filling over the prepared pecans in the crust. Bake for 20 minutes. It will slightly bubble and jiggle. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 40 minutes before serving. This tart can be made a day in advance as well, making it perfect to serve on holidays.
- Top the tart with ice cream, fresh whipped cream, or by itself.